Secret...

'And where do you think you've been the last ten days then?'  I can almost hear you all asking this question.

Well....last week I celebrated a rather big birthday with an 0 at the end.  I say celebrated, but this isn't entirely accurate as I actually celebrated on three days, and recovered for the other seven.  On one of the recovery days, I did wonder whether there were two 0's at the end of the birthday number such was the headache caused by over indulgence on the alcoholic beverage front).

But the week started well.  The husband had scribbled into my diary, 'keep tonight free'. Now this was the Monday night before my birthday, so I was anticipating a meal for two as a pre-cursor to The Big Day.

I was almost right.  The husband had surpassed himself in taking me to the restaurant where we had our first date, so that was one gold star for him.  He made me shut my eyes as we walked into the restaurant, and after saying in time honoured fashion, 'You can open your eyes now', sitting at a table for four were best friend Mrs S (or California Kate which is more fitting now she lives over there) and her gorgeous finance, Biggles (he flies things).  They had flown over from California via Spain to celebrate my birthday with me.

I don't remember much about the first two minutes after seeing my best friend in front of me, but there were tears, hugs, and various expletives.  California Kate, who knows me better then anyone, had pre-warned the other dining guests that my language might be a bit ripe, so luckily they had time to stuff their serviettes in their ears before I erupted like an offensive volcano.

No one has ever done such an amazing thing for me as far as I can remember ( I am 60 now however, so there might have been something epic, but if there was, it's disappeared into the phemaldehyde  of time).

It seems that every breathing person who knows me knew all about this, so I am incredibly grateful to all those who managed to keep their gobs shut in the lead up to the surprise. Especially the husband, who has the secret keeping capacity of a four year old. Afterwards, he was telling me how hard it was to keep quiet, and I reminded him of the Benjamin Franklin quote.  'You can keep a secret between three people as long as two of them are dead'.  Luckily, he didn't have to resort to bumping off some of our relations, and all went to plan.

California Kate and Biggles had a sleepover at ours and after a skip load of hugs, headed home, taking their jetlag, a pair of tartan boxer shorts and various other items of Scottish tat with them. 

Saved me some money on the postage which was a bonus...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Diary...

Ain't no mountain high enough...