Lessons in love...

So what have I learnt from spending four weeks in a caravan with the husband touring Scotland?

Well lots, actually.

Firstly, I am completely in love with the Highlands.  This came as no surprise to me, as I adore everything that Mother Nature can chuck at me, but the Highlands take this to another level. The mountains, the water, the silence, the deer, the sky (which seems to sit a million miles higher than the one where I live), the people, the history, the pride.  All of this I have tucked away in my heart, and while I am furious that in my almost sixty years on this planet, this was my first visit, I know that it most definitely won't be my last.

I realised on Sunday morning that we have been living in a space the size of our bedroom for the past four weeks.  It made me wonder why we bother with all these rooms, after all, it's just more housework (I cleaned the whole inside of the caravan two weeks in and it took me eight minutes).  Naturally, after two days back, I'm quite enjoying the space again, but it's odd that you don't miss it while you haven't got it.

Loving the husband has always been the easiest thing in the world for me, but I've seen how much he loves me too in the past four weeks.  We have laughed and loved the whole time and he told me that having me by his side for four weeks was the best thing about our adventure. We have come back home with a deep determination not to lose that feeling, and television still hasn't made it back on the agenda. (That might change once I take that first hit of the 'Strictly' drug though).

It's ok to wear shorts, even when the sun isn't shining.  We wore shorts every day, through wind, rain, cold and sunshine, paired up with a t-shirt, coat and walking boots.  I'd only taken three t-shirts with me, so there was none of this 'what shall I wear today?'  I also didn't touch my make up bag (except for our final night out at the posh restaurant) so the husband has seen me in a whole new light (slightly blurred though, as I refused to clean his glasses for him on several occasions).

Coming home on the M6 on the final leg of our journey, the husband said that the journey seemed a lot slower coming home.  'That'll be the additional weight of our heavy hearts', I said to him with a sad smile.  

It became apparent that heavy hearts apart, there were other items that might have weighed us down slightly.

Mainly the tea towels, scarves, tartan swatches, books, serviettes, a flag, Christmas decorations, a candle, a cuddly Highland cow, more books, a jug, a glass bowl, tins of shortbread, five NC500 tee-shirts and a pair of tartan boxer shorts complete with sporran.

It's amazing what you can fit in one drawer...




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Diary...

Ain't no mountain high enough...