Road trip...

Where do I start?

Perhaps the accomodation on Skye might be a good place.  If you remember, I said that we had a booked what I was assuming to be a shed with a mattress.  It appears that my presumption was correct, but the things I didn't predict were damp, bugs, and a very rusty firepit and prongs (the outdoor kitchen).  Never mind us sleeping there, it wasn't good enough for my lawnmower, so the husband and I decided that our aluminium box on wheels was a better bet.

Sadly, this meant travelling over the Bealach na ba pass again.  We had gone over it in the morning, but as the clouds were at ground level, I was completely oblivious to the sheer drops, hairpin bends and everything else which goes with the steepest and most scenic (polite talk for bloody horrific) climb in the UK.  As the day had gone on, the clouds had lifted, and as we now approached the dreaded pass (it comes with a warning) all the hidden horrors of the morning were there in glorious technicolour.  'Let's go to the top and watch the sunset', said the old romantic, which is what we did.  Boy, it was cold.  I had to put on the old Dry Robe (or Chav Cape as a good friend calls it) and even with that, I lost all feeling in my fingers as I took photo after photo.

We saw several herds of red deer on the way home, with a short detour for fish and chips, so all in all, the day ended rather well.

On Tuesday, we went to Rogie Falls.  This is where the salmon leap to get back to their spawning grounds. We walked through a stunning pine forest to get to the river, and had to stand on a suspension bridge slung across the wet stuff to see them.  Now we never thought we would see a single salmon, but how wrong we were.  Brave fish after brave fish launched itself upstream - it was completely wonderful.

And yesterday, we hit Loch Ness.  Having seen so many truly incredible lochs over the past week, this was a complete disappointment.  I would suggest Loch Tay, Loch Carron, Loch Maree over it any day.  Far too touristy for me and the husband. Mind you, I did manage to buy some very inappropriate boxer shorts for a friend from the souvenir shop, so not all was lost. 

Something else happened yesterday, but I'll save that for tomorrow.  It needs a blog all of its own.  Today has been designated as a rest day for the husband.  We have covered over 1500 miles so far, so I have grounded him.

He's bored already...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Diary...

Ain't no mountain high enough...