Blowin' in the wind...

Yesterday, we made the sad, but surprisingly sensible, decision to leave Scotland for the next part of our adventure.  It wasn't planned, as we were meant to leave today, but Storm Agnes put the wind up me (excuse the pun) and I said to the husband that perhaps it might be best to get settled further south rather than trying to wrestle with an awning during a weather warning.

Weirdly, I'm glad we did.  Our last day in beautiful Scotland happened without me realising it.  A day of tramping up a mountain, tiptoeing across rivers via stepping stones.  A day of clear blue skies and sunshine, with a fabulous meal ending our day.  I think that if I had known it was going to be my last day, I would have had a face like a kid who's just been told that the local sweetshop has closed and would have sulked all day, but as it was, it was giggles and love all the way.

So the journey down to the Lake District took us over seven hours, and was broken up with a bag of Haribo, two packets of crisps, a couple of Tunnocks wafer biscuits, a banana and a box of grapes.  I managed three naps, and we spoke about how much we were going to miss Scotland.  However, our new site near Morecombe Bay is great, and we had the chance to get the awning up and get settled in with a bowl of chilli pasta and a cider before Agnes showed up.

As the husband was banging his pegs in, one of our new neighbours came up and suggested that it might be a good idea to wait for the morning as 'there's a weather warning, you know'. The husband nodded sagely, covertly looking round the campsite and spotting that there was not a single awning up.  'Oh, we will be fine', he said.  'We've known worse - I mean, we've been in Scotland the last three weeks'.  I think he only said this as we decided on the way down that if you lived in Scotland you were made of tough stuff.

We spent last night playing cards and watching the storm unfold.  I said to the husband that I reckoned all of our neighbours were running a book, with money changing hands as to whether we would still be standing in the morning.

We were. 

The husband has disappeared this morning as we are getting low on gas.  After the amount of chilli pasta Reg managed to snaffle after an unfortunate fork to mouth incident, I'm slightly disappointed that we can't connect his derriere to the gas bottle.

He'd save us a fortune...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Diary...

Ain't no mountain high enough...