Stir it up...

I am officially puddinged out...

Two in the steamer and another seven to go over the weekend, and that's all the curranty cooking done for another year.  This is the earliest I have ever done them, and as ever, I had my Christmas music playing loud and proud while I followed the recipe handed down by five generations on the Mother's side.  

What I love about this recipe is the way that each generation has tweaked the recipe with minor weight changes, all neatly done with a pen.  The only ingredient which seems to have increased every year is the amount of rum which goes into making two puddings.  The original writer of the recipe allowed for a mere three tablespoons of rum, but as the years have gone by, it has increased to almost the half a litre which I bunged in today.  And that doesn't take into account the large slosh which goes on top of them when they are cooked.  Better put another bottle on my shopping list.  Just in case.

So as you know, I am working at the lovely Emma's Vintage Shop tomorrow to learn the ropes (mainly the till as I have scoured every inch of her shop on several occasions and therefore know the whereabouts of every shoe, petticoat and handbag which she sells).  I don't know about you, but at my age I find that if someone wants to thank me for walking their dog, or doing some gardening, I usually find myself the recipient of a bottle of wine or a box of chocolates.  But Emma has hinted that she'd rather pay me in material goods.  Yes ladies, I am about to get my second new item of clothing in a week, and I am almost giddy in anticipation. I have been gazing longingly at a certain dress since she opened and finally, it just might be mine.  Even better is the fact that the husband bought me some patent leather Mary Janes for Christmas a couple of years ago which will go with it perfectly.

This means that tomorrow night when I go out for dinner with the husband, Miss R and her beau to celebrate the Father's birthday celebration, there's a small chance I might look like a 1940's bombshell.

Which will be a change from the bombsite I have looked like for the past three months...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Diary...

Ain't no mountain high enough...