Roll up...

Well that's another fabulous weekend away put to bed, and a beautiful city ticked off my list.

Having been reading these ramblings for the past three years, you might have twigged by now that me, the husband and Miss R always go for away for a few days in the weeks leading up to Christmas.  To date, we have managed Poland, Norway, New York and now Prague, and this last city was the most beautiful by far.

Other than it being blinking cold, I didn't really know what to expect from Prague, so the only preparation was the wonderful coat loaned to me by my sister in law Mrs H.  Not an hour went by when I didn't silently thank her for parting with the coat for a few days, and I can honestly say that I wasn't cold once.  The husband and Miss R who were cloaked in ski jackets did their utmost not to complain of the cold, but Miss R's red nose gave the game away, and if the husband thought I hadn't noticed the occasional shiver, he's much mistaken.

We did all the obligatory tourist stuff with a touch of hopping on and off buses, walking miles up and down hills to peer into churches, cathedrals and castles, but between these moments of education, there were the bars and restaurants to frequent.  

Having realised pretty early on (an hour after landing) that eating anywhere where you could see the Astronomical Clock required a second mortgage, we ate at some of the best restaurants I've ever known.  Miss R and I fell in love with a pair of pig knees (a Czech specialty) but it was the Trdelnik which were my downfall.  You will note the use of the word 'were', implying that more than one was consumed.  I managed three in four days, which by anyone's standards is pretty impressive.  If you've never had one of these, they are made from rolled dough, which is then wrapped around a stick, rolled in sugar and cooked over open coals.  As if this wasn't bad enough, once crispy, they were filled with chocolate sauce (my own personal favourite) and handed over all for the princely sum of £2.75.

You would have thought that the 29 miles we walked would have allowed for the odd treat or two.  You might have even thought that I might have lost a little weight after all that schlepping up and down hills.

Yeah, right...

On Saturday night, it's the Binland Christmas do, and a tight frock is on the cards.

I've got my work cut out my friends.  Either that or the industrial strength knickers might be getting a seasonal airing...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Ain't no mountain high enough...

Diary...