Summer's end...

I'm getting rather fed up of the leg of lamb hanging out of my right sleeve.  My arm has so much padding around it that long sleeves are a no-no, and I am wondering whether it is acceptable to wear a particular evening top I have which has bell sleeves.  Health and Safety would have a field day seeing me flapping about Binland (where were they on Saturday) like a elderly bat.  But it has to stay on till Tuesday when I have the stitches out. At that point, I am anticipating a much reduced right arm and I will be welcoming back the long sleeves.  Just as well it's not cold at the moment....ahem...

Talking of the cold, I took a good long look at my face yesterday morning.  As you know, I spend much of my free time outside these four walls whether that be dog walking, gardening or at the allotment.  All this exposure to the elements leaves me with a lovely colour all year, and I always look really healthy.  If it's not the sun dappling my cheeks, it's a gale force 8.  Either way, I always look like I've just got back from 'somewhere'.

And then the summer limps to an end, and the sun leaves us for a well earned lie down (especially this year when it's been working overtime).  Gradually, my tan fades, until one day (yesterday) I look in the mirror and utter these words.  'Bloody hell, I look old and knackered'.  It's almost like a reversal of the beautiful butterfly emerging from its cocoon, stunning everyone with its beauty.  Looking closely at my face in the mirror, I decided that I looked like a bag lady after a rough night in a bus shelter, and I reached for the foundation.

Now this has been sitting on my dressing table and over the summer has been used on a couple of occasions when I needed glamming up for posh nights out.  Slapping it on, I opened my eyes and took a look.  Well I wasn't pale now.  People would be forgiven for thinking that I'd been in Greece for a month such was the colour of my skin.  Mahogany might cover it.  So later today I am off to Boots to purchase a foundation which will blend in with my pale English skin.

Never mind 'Golden Bronze', I'll be reaching for the 'Skimmed Milk' or 'Chalk' for my blue tinged skin.

It's either that or a balaclava...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Diary...

Ain't no mountain high enough...