Surprise, surprise...

Time for the big reveal then.

As you all know, last weekend there were various shenanigans to celebrate son number two's 21st birthday.  He'd headed south for a whole 24 hours and all the children and their partners converged on the homestead for some serious celebrating.

However, and there's always a 'however' in my life, his birthday was in fact on Saturday just gone, a whole week after we celebrated at home.  He had planned a small gathering of friends back in Leeds for his actual birthday, and once I'd got whiff of this, I got in touch with one of his best friends, Mr R, and he helped me in pulling off a few 'extras' for the party.

The first call was for cake.  Every birthday party must have cake, and rather than settling for a large one, I ordered up a whole load of cupcakes, lovingly decorated with one of twelve funny/rude/family-based photos relating to son number two - the theme was Acute Embarrassment and this was pulled off quite successfully.  Accompanying the cakes were several helium balloons (again with his face on them).  All of this was delivered up to Mr R, who organised getting it all to the venue for me on the quiet.

And then the biggest surprise...

Having spoken to son number two on Saturday morning as he walked into work (bad planning, my love) I ended the call and the husband (who very last minute decided to join me) loaded a couple of overnight bags and me into the car, and we drove up to Leeds to surprise him.

Now this could have gone either way of course.  Would he be pleased to see us?  

Well of course he was.  He was absolutely thrilled to see us (after his heart started working again after I swooped down on him in Moss Bros) and we spent a few lovely hours with him and his brilliant friends that night.  They were all so welcoming to the two old fossils who'd gatecrashed, and we felt very privileged to be part of it all.

We didn't stay too long though.  A  good parent knows when the right time to go is, and at around 9.45, the husband and I left, as earlier in the day, there had been a suggestion of a posh meal for two at The Ivy after the party.

We ended up in a dodgy kebab takeaway in the middle of the gay district.

My husband knows how to show me a good time...

PS...One of the lovely girls at the party cornered me to say that her mum reads my nonsensical ramblings each morning, often updating her daughter as to what son number two gets up to when he's back home.  Mrs W (I hope I've remembered your surname - much gin had been consumed) thank you for the kind words (via your lovely girl) and I'd love to see some comments from you...and don't worry, we're a friendly bunch on here! x


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Ain't no mountain high enough...

Diary...