Tick-tock...

Following on from Wednesday's drivel, I'd like to be able to say that yesterday I made a concerted effort to sort the various bedrooms in readiness for the onslaught of the adult ankle biters...

However, as the sun shone down, and the warm breeze picked up, I had a serious case of CBA for the afternoon, choosing instead to slather myself in Factor Whatever is Left After Daughter Number One Has Been Here, and lay out on my deckchair.  I am wondering if there is anything such as being too tanned, as I am now starting to resemble an old railway sleeper.  But hey, you have to take it while it's there don't you.

The other reason that I couldn't face clearing the rooms was because I had spent the whole morning being very, very angry.

Several weeks ago, my lovely watch died after five years of faithful service.  This watch had never left my wrist, accompanying me in the bath, under the shower and in the pool, and kept great time even though it was submerged for some of its lifetime.

So I bought a new one.  This claimed to be water resistant up to 30m, and as I never go out of my depth (on any occasion, water based or not) I assumed that this would be perfect.  This lasted three days, taking on water after my first foray into the shower, so it was returned to the shop and a new watch purchased.  Thinking that it might be better to play safe, I bought one which was water resistant to 50m.  Now as long as I wasn't planning on going deep sea diving I reckoned this should do the job.

However, after a week of standing in three feet of water in Nice (or Fleece as Miss R and I named it after our expensive week there) this watch also has taken on water.  A week after getting home, it still has a small water halo right in the middle of the clock face, so yesterday morning before work, I started trawling across the internet looking for a replacement.

Looking into the various water resistant measurements, here's what I found out:

30m : Copes with a superficial hand wash, sweating and a light rain shower
50m : Copes with the above, a Sunday carwash and a quick shower (again, superficial)
100m : Copes with all the above plus swimming (on the top of the water, no diving)
200m : Will cope with anything water related plus intergalactic travel should I ever go to the moon.

So it would appear that the 30/50/100/200 metre measurements have absolutely diddly squat to do with anything.

As I said to Miss R yesterday afternoon while I was bending her ear about this, 'It's like me asking you what the speed limit is on the M4, and you replying 'Radish'.  It just has no bearing on anything'.

Of course, I could simply take my watch off before hitting any of the wet stuff, and carry it in my pocket if it looks like rain.

But I want to keep it on.

Am I asking too much?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Diary...

Ain't no mountain high enough...