Burning up...

It was back to good old Blighty on Wednesday night.  Miss R and I had decided that as it was our last day, Wednesday should be the day we 'went for it' in the suntan stakes.  Now I tan fairly easily (this is an understatement - first whiff of a bit of sun and I resemble a walnut) so had been using some sun oil (with protection before you gasp in horror) on Tuesday with some dramatic effects.  My skin had gone a lovely bronze colour and there was a definite line where my cozzie had been.

Miss R, on the other hand, does not tan so easily, and has to invest in expensive creams and a lot of time to reach the colour I get from opening the curtains on a  sunny June morning.  But because she has already been abroad this year, she reckoned that she now had a 'good enough base tan to use the oil'. 

And so it came to pass that Miss R and I slapped the oil all over on Wednesday, and lay back on our sun loungers alternating our time with snoozes, drinks, dips in the sea and food.  When the time finally came around to shower and get ready for the taxi to the airport, Miss R disappeared to get washed and dressed.

When she came out, it was obvious that all was not as it should be.  'I think I may be a bit burnt', she said sitting down gingerly at the table.  She was almost rigid as she sat down, and I could soon see why.  Lifting her top slightly, she muttered, 'Take a look at that.  What do you think?  Is it burnt?'

What do you say when faced with a question like this?  Either 'Oh don't worry about that - just slap some aftersun on and you'll be fine', or do you go for the, 'Bloody hell, I've seen tomatoes less red than that.  You are going to suffer for at least a week, and you'll probably be able to turn the heating thermostat down a couple of degrees'.  Being the caring, loving, older sister that I am, I opted for the first, and watched as she slapped the aftersun on.  It evaporated before it even made contact with her stomach, and the wincing was eventually eased with a cold bottle of iced water pressed up against her midriff as we drove to the airport.

I thought I'd got away with it until yesterday morning.  Waking up, my face was as tight as a tambourine, and there was a good ten minutes of ferreting around for some Aloe Vera before work yesterday.

By the time I had Vera'd up and applied some BB cream (hides all blemishes apparently) I had toned down the face from pillar box red to Barbie pink.  

We never learn, do we...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Diary...

Ain't no mountain high enough...