Payback...

I've decided to claim against the local council for the new tyre I had to buy this week.  It's something I've never done before, so going on to their website to find out how, I was prepared to fill in a form or two.

What I wasn't prepared for was the five sheet pamphlet which needed to be accompanied by so much proof and documentation, that I am considering retraining and becoming a forensic expert.  Prior to even being allowed to see the form, you have to read through a diatribe which basically says this:

'Please be warned that we know every trick in the book, and are fully clued up on how to counter attack any claim you might make.  You'll see below all the reasons why we won't pay out on pothole damage, but if you're feeling brave enough, fill this form in and make our day' (this said while blowing smoke off barrel of Colt 45).

Now I am a woman who likes a bit of a challenge, so taking a deep breath, I gripped the claim form by the throat and got stuck in.   Having got it all prepped by yesterday afternoon, I scanned over the fourteen sheets of evidence, including an 'X marks the spot' Google Earth map and photographs of the offending pothole.  These were taken from every available angle including ground level and it was a close run thing as to whether I'd be adding another sheet for being run over while having my head in a pothole - I bet they haven't ever had to fight a claim for that.

I then re-read the accompanying cover letter to see where it needed to go, expecting to find a dedicated email address (something along the lines of potholeclaims@fatchance.com).  But lo and behold, they only accept claims via post, thus adding another cost to the claimant.

Having paid for it to get there First Class, with guaranteed 9.00am delivery, I counted the cost for my claim:

Two hours of form completion 
One hour of site visit to take photographs 
Two hours of trying to work out how bloody Google Earth works
One packet of Kalms (See Google Earth)
One packet of Anadin (See Google Earth)
Dry cleaning bill for one pair of trousers after lying motionless on road taking photos
One can of suede spray for road scuffed loafers
Photocopying
Postage

Estimated cost of filling the claim form is £93.00.  My tyre cost £108.00 to replace, so if my claim is settled (stop laughing) I will still be out of pocket.

But hey, I had nothing better to do yesterday...

On a lighter, less moany note, I have yet another day off today, so will be missing tomorrow morning (not literally, you understand, I will come home eventually).  

Lots planned, so see you on Sunday!

Much love

xx




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Diary...

Ain't no mountain high enough...