Through the barricades...

So as another day of recuperation dawned bright and early yesterday, I suddenly realised that my breathing wasn't akin to an acting extra on Jaws (watched this again at the weekend...just how much shallow breathing is acceptable?)  Perhaps, just perhaps, I was getting better...

As yesterday wore on at Binland, I started to feel like a butterfly, emerging from its chrysalis and unfolding to reveal its full beauty.  OK.  Let's be honest, it was more like the slimy creature coming out of John Hurt's stomach in Alien, but it was a real improvement on the last ten days, that's for sure.

The trouble with feeling better, is that you feel you are now well, which as we all know, couldn't be further from the truth.  A short sojourn into town for vacuum cleaner bags (it's just one long glamour-fest in my shoes) and it was necessary to stop at the cafe for a cup of tea and a piece of fortifying Bakewell Tart.  Suitably revived, I then headed off to the hell which you might know as Waitrose, where I shuffled round slowly picking things off the shelves.  I must confess to spending a most pleasant five minutes at the 'Special Buy' section, where all the unsold expensive Christmas tat resided.  It took some doing persuading myself that a pack of four coffee frothers wasn't really necessary, but, I digress..  

Some years ago, I came to the conclusion that Waitrose is merely a meeting place for 'women of a certain age'.  This wouldn't be my age, you understand, but a couple of decades older.  Small groups of round, elderly ladies standing in the middle of the aisle chatting, with no thought as to who might need to get past them.  There's usually a barricade of brightly coloured wheeled baskets parked up next to them like a row of floral Rottweilers, while they discuss one of the following:

1. Who died over Christmas
2. Who might die now it's getting colder
3. Ethel Rogers' varicose veins
4. The price of everything (pre-war, post-war and future)
5. Parking (most of them walk into town so not relevant, but always worth a grumble or two)

So.  There I am, hyper ventilating with a basket of Big Soup (the husband's lunch of choice), with a formidable wall of formaldehyde and support stockings in my way.

'Excuse me, ladies,' I panted, 'could I just get through?'  

Nothing.  They just carried on regardless, and not wanting to interrupt their lovely chat regarding Florrie who had gone away for Christmas and not told the newspaper boy, I gently squeezed past the ringleader (chest like a bolster and legs like Red Rum) and made  my apologies.

Then our eyes met.  'No need to push past me', she said.  'That's the trouble with you youngsters' (this was the cue for general nodding and mm-mmming), 'you're always in such a hurry'.

Life....it's all relative I suppose...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Ain't no mountain high enough...

Diary...