Messin' around on the river...

Every year I say the same thing...that one year, Henley Regatta will be the death of me.  You'll be pleased to hear that it wasn't this year (well so far, still got tomorrow afternoon to get through, and as that involves a boat and the wet stuff, anything could happen).  But it was close...

The trouble is that we always have some/all of the children with us, and they are very good at leading me astray.  Daughter number one and Little Miss Tiny were most generous with the Aperol Spritz (my new drink of choice) and my the time our friends collected us to go to Henley, I was well on the way.  I had a very wide hat on, as befitting Regatta, and worked out pretty quickly that I couldn't go through a standard doorway face on (I managed to wipe out Little Miss Tiny on the way to the front door) so the rest of the afternoon was spent listing slightly to one side to get the hat through various doors without having a head on collision with all the other hats on parade.  


Mind you, by the end of the evening, I was still tilting slightly to one side and this had nothing to do with the hat, as I had removed it once we left the river and went to the restaurant.  Unfortunately, I'd had the hat on far too long, and because there was a stiff breeze, I had jammed it firmly on, leaving me looking like I'd had a frontal lobotomy when I prised it off.  

I think the husband and I fell into bed around midnight, about ten minutes before the kids got back.  I went to sleep almost immediately, but the husband had made the schoolboy error of drinking a couple of Espresso Martini over the course of the evening. While I slept the sleep of the just, he lay on his back staring at the ceiling like a rabbit in the headlights.  Finally giving up all hope of sleep at round 5.30am, he shuffled off to walk the dogs.  The trouble is, that today he has spent most of the day going from sunlounger to sofa to bed, catching up with small 'nanna naps'.

Which means that he'll probably be awake most of tonight too.  Not to worry, tomorrow we are on a boat for the afternoon, so I can get him settled with a couple of life jackets in the lifeboat and he can catch up again.

I'll be on the Aperol again...just not so much perhaps to make me look like this...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Ain't no mountain high enough...

Diary...