We are family...

Contrary to everything that was expected, I returned home from Italy on Friday.  Sporting a fabulous tan and a torn hamstring, I made a glamorous exit off the plane in a scruffy wheelchair pushed by a not so scruffy First Officer.  I'm not saying that he was young and inexperienced (his words, not mine, and I was relieved not to have heard these as I boarded the plane) but he didn't look like he'd started shaving, and he insisted on making screeching noises at every corner we negotiated.

I would love to be able to tell you that my fall was after an Aperol fuelled afternoon, but it wasn't.  Every other afternoon was, but this was a very sensible alcohol-free day as we had to get up at an ungodly hour to catch the plane home.  

All I wanted to do was turn my deckchair round.  Unfortunately, I forgot the large concrete parasol base and somehow managed to tear the hamstring whilst trying to avoid stubbing my toe.

But at least it didn't happen at the start of the holiday. 

Italy was everything I hoped it would be.  There's a lot to tell you over the following days, but let's start with the obvious bits...

Sunshine...so hot that you couldn't get from the deckchair to the pool without saying, 'Hoo, hoo, hoo', and doing an interesting walk resembling a stork doing a bit of dressage.

Italian men....so charming and attentive, although a couple of them fitted the Italian stereotype where the driving was concerned.  One trip to a restaurant at the top of a mountain was particularly hair-raising as the driver insisted on staring at one of our party's ample bosom, whilst simultaneously texting.  Who said men couldn't multitask?  All that, and driving too?

Pompeii...this has been on my Bucket List forever, and it was incredible.  Mind you, we could have done with a sheepdog as a couple of our party went AWOL half way through the guided tour.  Mrs S and I made it to the end though, and will go back to see the 90% which we didn't get to see this time.

Friends...always the best part of a holiday, wherever you are.  As you know, I was with Mrs S's family rather than my own.  So there was her mum, her sister, her daughter and another family friend.  

And I thought my family was bonkers...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Ain't no mountain high enough...

Diary...