North and south...

Well ladies, the husband and I have just about dried out after our weekend Up North with son number two.  Cast your mind back to Saturday morning if you will. (If you live any further north than Birmingham, no casting back of the mind will be required).  The morning was absolutely stunning, and the husband and I left home bedecked in shorts and skimpy tops (actually, that was just me, he chose something more sensible with a sleeve).  We had our sunglasses on, and had packed with the weather in mind.  Nothing could be better than a party in a rooftop bar with such glorious weather.

By the time we hit the M1, the husband had turned the air conditioning off, deciding that an ambient temperature might be more conducive.  By Barnsley, I had a jumper on and had unrolled my shorts for maximum thigh coverage, and the husband had turned the heating up having finally accepted that it was getting colder the further north we went.

Pulling up at our hotel, the husband nodded across to two people walking towards us.  Bundled up in thick coats and hats they were not the harbinger of summer I wanted to see.  And yet... they were rapidly followed by two young girls wearing the nearest I've seen to a vest and drawers.

'Can't be that cold then', I said to the husband. 'I mean,look at those two.  They're not even a slight tinge of blue'.

'That's the North for you', said the husband.  'They don't feel the cold till they are at least twenty five'.

But the weather didn't put us off, and we had a lovely day, night and the following morning (ouch) celebrating son number two's friend's birthday.  Gin was my friend, rapidly followed by the patio heaters on the roof, and some regular rotation was required to ensure that I wasn't blue one side and well done on the other.

Coming home Sunday lunchtime, back to the sunny South, the husband and I were looking forward to lying in the deckchairs for the afternoon to catch up on some well needed sleep.

Pulling into the drive, the heavens opened and the two of us spent the rest of the day huddled up on the sofa flatly refusing to put any kind of heating on as it was now June.

Let's hear it for the British summer time ladies...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Ain't no mountain high enough...

Diary...