The sell-by date...

Never again will I send son number two to do my food shopping.

Agreed, it was a fairly substantial list, and with all respect to him, he did get everything ticked off, but oh dear, what I have been left with is interesting to say the least.

Here are some of the items I asked for, and what I actually got...

6 x large Cox apples
Well he got the number of apples correct (all that expensive schooling paid off then) and they were Cox apples.  But the size.  To be honest, I have been confused all weekend, as they were the same size as the 6 x plums I also had on my list.  There has been some serious fruity to-ing and fro-ing this weekend, I can tell you.

1 x free range organic chicken (as large as possible)
Now I know this sounds rather showy, but I don't eat much meat, so I try to eat something which has hopefully had the best life ever before ending up on my plate.  What I actually got was a supermarket special for £3.00.  When questioned, son number two was up in arms at my squandering.  But I let it go...till this morning. I decided to roast it in readiness for this evening's supper and tomorrow's packed lunch.  Unwrapping it, I noticed the 'use by' date.  Friday 17th May.  The day he bought it.  Now I am not crazy enough to think that eating a chicken three days over its use by date is going to kill me, so I roasted it.  It's currently residing on the kitchen worktop.  Every time I think about eating it, my stomach does a little churn, and I think it's safe to say that the poor chicken's life was all for nothing.

10 x bananas
I normally get five ripe and five green to last me through the week.  I now have ten over ripe bananas in my bowl which will need to be eaten by Tuesday afternoon if I don't want to throw them away.

Plum tomatoes
I am the proud owner of 4 x beef tomatoes as he 'couldn't find the ones which look like plums'.

So after all this, he left us yesterday to head back to The North.  For some reason, the fridge is once again bare.  

Strange that.  

I wonder if the bulging Sainsbury bag he was carrying had anything to do with that...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Ain't no mountain high enough...

Diary...