Little by little...

Now I love my Tesco groceries delivery driver.  He is polite, friendly and very chatty, and we always exchange a bit of polite conversation (usually involving the weather) as I lift the bags from the plastic crates he wheels up to my doorstep.

However, after today's delivery,  Tesco and I are taking a bit of a sabbatical from each other.  You know how having your groceries delivered should in theory save you a whole mountain of time?  Well today's delivery took so long from start to finish that I could have driven to Tesco (in Aberdeen), done my shopping, packed it in the car and driven home again.

Tesco have introduced a new No Bag Policy you see, so the 97 items I'd bought turned up at my door in nine different crates un-bagged and causing havoc.  'Tesco are trialing it out', explained my lovely driver as I lifted out my groceries one item at a time.  Further questioning revealed that this would be going on till late August.  'If that's the case', I said, 'we shall be parting company, my friend', I said to the driver.  

It probably took me five minutes longer to get the food out of the crates (not long, I know, but when you consider that I am probably one of thirty or so customers that day, it's quite an increase in the driver's day) and I had to pile it all up in the middle of the hall.  Thankfully, I had barricaded the woofers in the lounge otherwise my chicken might have had a good old going at, and after the driver left (he was there so long, we celebrated his birthday and Christmas) I released the hounds.  

It was then a race to get it all into the kitchen before the woofers discovered the bacon.  A lot of thought went into what was transferred to the kitchen first (chicken, bacon, prawns and dog chews) and mid schlep across the hall, I was reminded of that riddle involving a fox, a chicken, some corn, an island and a boat. 

It took fourteen journeys to get everything into the kitchen, and as I write, everything is languishing on various worktops.

I fully accept that plastic is the work of the devil, and as a society, we must do the right thing, but what makes me mad (and here is where working at Binland comes handy) is that I know that my general waste is taken to an incinerator where it is used to generate electricity.  It doesn't get thrown in the sea and it doesn't end up in landfill, so why restrict something which is handled responsibly and recovered for a good purpose?

So that's it.  Me and Tesco are done for a couple of months.

Must go though - I have around six journeys up and down the stairs to take the toiletries up. I should also point out that I wouldn't normally buy this much alcohol.  We had to replenish our supplies after a twenty three hour visit from son number two.

And don't even get me started on the fact that I no longer have free bin liners for my bathroom...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Ain't no mountain high enough...

Diary...