I can't go for that...

This weekend away was my first experience of eating out under my new food rules.  So that you know exactly what I'm up against, here are the foods which I've been told to avoid:

Eggs
Rose-hip
Cashew
Wheat
Cow's Milk
Sunflower Seed
Coconut
Yeast
Bamboo Shoots
Beef
Peanut
Chardonnay Grape
Chili Pepper
Hazelnut
Millet
Kale
Gluten
Shiraz Grape
Water Chestnut

It's quite an extensive list, but, touch wood, I've not had a headache since I've cleared these foods out of my diet.  It's relatively easy to do this at home, as long as you're well prepared, but a weekend away in the Wobble Box was always going to be a challenge.

It didn't start well if I'm honest.  On Friday night, I scoured a pub menu for five full minutes before finally settling on what I thought would be OK to order.  Making sure that there would be no butter or bread with the meal, I waited in eager anticipation.

Well it looked lovely.  Every effort had been made to make my naked meal look appealing (the food equivalent of sticking a fig leaf on Adam) and I tucked in.

It was only half way through my meal that I had a lightbulb moment.  'Oh no!' I said to the husband probably a little louder than I should have done in a quiet country pub.  'This is beef.  I'm not supposed to eat beef.  It's on The List'.

Well the husband was suitably sympathetic, and generously took the other half of prime sirloin off my plate, swapping it for a couple of pieces of broccoli which he wasn't going to eat.  Generous to a fault, that one.

It's funny, because in my forays into various eateries over this weekend, there have been some who have looked at me like I was totally deranged (this might not have anything to do with the food constraints actually) and there have been others who have worked really hard to give me a beautiful, well thought of meal.  The Crown at Kings Somborne, I salute you and your wonderful staff for giving this mad old bint the time of day.  You were so brilliant, we came back and did it all again the following day.

It's a steep learning curve for sure, but as long as it keeps the headaches away, I'm willing to try it out.  And before you ask, yes, I did have a headache after Friday's steak.

That'll teach me...

Comments

Jolly Sock Man said…
Blimey! That's a pretty hefty list. Reading it made me feel very sympathetic, so I wondered if all friends and family should also avoid one of the ingredients, in an act of unity. I'll be bold and avoid Kale. Forever.

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Ain't no mountain high enough...

Diary...