Ma Baker...

Now that life has returned to normal (husband was up and 'at 'em by 7.00 this morning) I am able to go ahead with the Boozy Tea Party I have every few months or so.  This is an occasion when I supply the cake and tea, and my friends, who seem to know me very well, bring round copious bottles of Prosecco, unceremoniously pushing my favourite teapot to a dark corner of the kitchen worktop, thus making room for the more important corkscrew and glasses.

They're a discerning lot, my girl friends, and over the years, there have been tea parties which were successful (seven bottles of Prosecco, not a cake-crumb left, last lady crawling out the front door on all fours after 8.00pm and several hangovers) and a couple which need erasing from memory.  As I may have touched on in the depths of blog-time, I used to bake cakes in a previous life, so as you can imagine, there's always high expectations when you receive an invite to mine for cake.

The year I always try and forget is the one where I failed miserably on the cake front, choosing instead to buy my cakes and scones from the local supermarket.

I sort of knew that they would be able to tell the difference, but what I had failed to realise was the depth of their disgust at being offered a shop bought scone, when they were expecting some kind of Mary Berry Showstopper of a cake.  

So I've learned a lesson, and have been baking since Wednesday to allow for a full table of goodies for them.

They are due here at 4.00.

I'll report back tomorrow as to the success (or otherwise) of my one woman bake off...





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Ain't no mountain high enough...

Diary...