The hungry years...

Did you get much snow?

We had enough to ensure that my twenty four hours of R&R with daughter number two had to be cancelled.  I'd calculated that if I had driven to the hotel in Northampton, that by the time I got there it would probably have been time to come back home.  There would still have been some R&R, but this have been more like 'ranting and raving' instead of something more relaxing.


So it meant a day at home for the husband and I.  Having a day together like this unexpectedly was lovely, although we basically ate our way through it, starting with bacon croissants, and ending with burgers and fried onions.  I know this sounds incredibly unhealthy, but because my internet shop wasn't coming until Sunday, we had a pretty bare fridge in readiness for the big influx of food.  


As the allotted time for the evening meal approached, the husband started opening and closing the fridge store, each time accompanied by a small sigh, until finally he went all Terminator on me.  Standing at the door into the cold garage (where the emergency freezer is), he said, 'I'll be back... hopefully, with something to eat'.

He cooked.  It was an interesting meal for a Friday night.  A burger, topped with fried onions,  a rack of ribs, and some Yorkshire puddings.  This was all washed down with a large amount of alcohol which sort of saved the day.

Today, it's still like a craggy ice rink out there, and mincing across the lane this morning, I half expected to hear Ravel's Bolero in the background. The problem was that I was being dragged along by Percy and Reg, who out of nowhere, seem to have developed non-slip feet.  I wish the same could have been said about me and my pink wellies, but between intermittent, Tourette-like shrieks of 'Whoops-a-daisy', and 'Slow down you bast*ards', I managed to get to the dog walk field in one piece.

There's still no food in the house, and I'm not prepared to run the gauntlet of the lane in my car.

It's going to be a long night...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Ain't no mountain high enough...

Diary...