Little by little... (apologies for this song title, I should be ashamed of myself...)

Well that's another thirty seven minutes I'll never get back....

Over the past ten years or so, there has been a lot of talk about my home town getting another supermarket,  This would be an an alternative to the extremely expensive supermarket we have (you know who I mean).  Basically, if I want to buy food, I either drive eight miles to the nearest Aldi, Tesco or Sainsburys, or I bite the bullet and go to Waitrose.  This usually involves me going in with a heavy heart, and departing with a much lighter wallet than usual.  There is also the frustration of a) finding an actual parking space and b) hoping that secreted down between the seats and floor carpets, a 50p might be located for the car park ticket.  I suppose that what my fellow town dwellers and I are peeved about, is that we have no choice locally.  It's the big W or nothing.

So the you imagine the town's joy when Lidl opened last week.  Facebook was full of it, and I waited until today before dipping my toe in as it were.  Now as a seasoned and loyal Aldi customer, I was expecting much of the same, and to be honest, there were similarities.  Both have the dreaded middle aisles of tat, none of which you'll ever need, unless a battery operated abs improver is on your list (probably somewhere between the Bourbon biscuits and the kitchen roll - only suggesting this as that's where it was in the store.  There is obviously some connection there, but for the life of me, I can't see it). So I wasn't expecting a really upmarket shopping experience.

However, what I was expecting was that the produce might have been put onto a shelf, rather than being left in the cardboard boxes and then put on the shelf.  It all felt like they'd opened a month too early and it reminded me of those dreadful markets I would go to in the early 80's with my grandparents, with their 'stack'em high and sell 'em cheap' approach.

I didn't buy much.  But somehow, it cost me a lot more than Aldi would have done.  And there was no alcohol either which normally tips my bill over the £50 each week.

As I walked back to the car pushing my shiny new trolley, I asked myself why I'd gone there in the first place.  And do you know why?  Both of my Mrs S's (Best friend and  my Binland buddy) had extolled the virtue of the bread counter and its wonderful choice of doughy delights.  And yes, it did look well stocked with a lot of choice.  The only stumbling block is that I try and avoid bread (especially when there is a 45% chance I might have to don a bikini next week).

So all in all, pretty pointless really, so it's back to Aldi and my eight mile drive next week.

I must dash though.  I need to find a couple of AA batteries for my abs improver...

Comments

Unknown said…
We have a Waitrose and a Lidl opposite one another, some people park in W, get their big W bags out and walk over to Lidl

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Ain't no mountain high enough...

Diary...