I'm gonna be strong...

Well after a total of fourteen hours at work this week, I was ready for the weekend.  You should get some kind of medal for turning up in the days after Christmas and New Year, because let's face it, we'll all still running on alcohol, mince pies and Daniel Craig films (or was that just me?) till at least Valentines Day.

I managed to finish the foot square Christmas cake this afternoon.  If this had been an Olympic event, a medal would definitely have been in the offing.  As you probably guess, I make my own cake so am loathe to simply throw it away when Christmas is over.  All that turning and feeding (talking about the cake here) means the cake has to be shown some respect, and as the last bit found its way onto a tea plate this afternoon, I finally admitted to myself that Christmas was definitely over for another year.

But you know when you take all the tinsel and lights down, there is always one decoration which gets left behind.  This usually manages to get a stay of execution for a week or so, before someone points it out.  By now, the boxes of decorations have been packed away and are therefore not easy to get at, so the forgotten bauble simply gets thrown into a drawer and rolls around until next Christmas.  As I was sitting in the lounge earlier today, I spotted the forgotten decoration, a wicker bell which hangs over the doorway into the hall.  The husband and I are not particularly tall, which is why for the last week, we have simply been walking underneath it without noticing it.

However...

Son number two, who is that tall that his head is sometimes in a different time zone to his feet, has noticed it, having head butted it on at least four occasions in the last hour.  Once I have finished writing this, I suppose I'll have to take it down and hide it somewhere, but part of me (the part which is still scoffing Christmas cake) quite likes having an out of season decoration in the house.  It just reminds me what a great couple of weeks we had, and on a cold January afternoon when all I can think about is whether my trousers will finally fit me again on Monday, it's a decent diversion.

Talking about my trousers, my resolution this year is to not buy any clothes during the coming year, bearing in mind that I have more than enough.

Day five, and I'm still going strong.

Which is a lot better than most years...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Ain't no mountain high enough...

Diary...