I'm walking...

Having been knocked flattish by a sore throat and all of its accompanying delights, I was quite anxious as to whether I'd be able to rally for Schnauzerfest yesterday.  I'd pulled out all the stops with cakes and dog biscuits, and was desperate to do my favourite good cause justice.  

But oh happy day... I woke up yesterday feeling quite normal (stop laughing, you know what I mean) and I loaded the car and drove to Wittenham Clumps (yes, it's a real place!) Getting there early with Miss R and Mrs S we gave the dogs a quick walk before all the other walkers turned up.  The sky, which had been threatening an apocalypse, finally decided to show its good side, and the sun shone as we got ready for everyone else to turn up. 

Now I have been doing some serious whistle training with my two for the past month or so.  This basically means blowing a whistle and shaking a bag of cheese cubes, and I was optimistic about finally letting my two off so that they could run free with the rest of the bearded warriors.

So I let them off...

Well it turned out that the whistle training has had some unexpected side effects.  Percy seemed to have discovered a sex drive, and Reg took the whistle to mean. 'Seconds out, Round 5'.  So for the next two miles or so, I had a rampant Casanova and a bolshy Barry McGuigan to control.  This was no mean feat considering I was also carrying two large orange buckets for donations and my belt (don't ask), and in the end, Mrs S kindly took the sex addict off my hands, leaving me to just keep the delinquent in check.  

We all made it to the finishing line, hopefully with no unplanned pregnancies or black eyes, where I laid out cakes and yet more biscuits for all the walkers and woofers who had given up their Saturday to raise money for dogs who should have the same life as our own pets.

We raised a good chunk of money, and I know that the girls at DBARC will use this to help these discarded puppy farm dogs get the gift of sight, life and love.

All joking apart, there is something very special knowing that you are a tiny part of something so wonderful and worthwhile.  There were thirty dogs there yesterday with their owners, and most of these woofers will never know anything but love in their lives.

For the ones who are rescued, life is more challenging.  I just hope that all the love piled on them by DBARC, their fosterers and adopters blurs the bad memories, and makes room for new ones.  Ones which involve a warm bed, plenty of food, a kind word and lots of cuddles.

It's not much to ask for really...



If you'd like to add to the coffers, here's the link to the page...

https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/Team/Schnauzerfest2018





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Ain't no mountain high enough...

Diary...