Car jamming...

You know that saying which involves your derriere and your elbow?  Well, that's me right now, and will continue being me until 1.00 on Friday.

Having crawled through the front door on Sunday afternoon after twenty four hours of debauchery involving a 21st birthday, a gay admirer (male, should I be worried?) a couple of kebabs, the North and a whole load of gin, the husband and I slumped onto our sofas with the aim of some serious snoozing for what remained of the weekend.  This lasted approximately forty minutes as son number one, whose birthday is later this week, was trying to coax us up to London on Monday night for a pre-birthday meal.  Well.  We could hardly deny him this small request having schlepped all the way to Leeds, so a table was booked for 7.00 at a restaurant called Flesh and Buns.  'Oh goody', I'd said to the husband, 'I just fancy a posh burger'...

I got in from work on Monday at 5.15, looking forward to a super swift shower and change before leaving for London around 6.00.  But life has a habit of skewing the dice sometimes...

Problem Number One
Water had been switched off all day as there was a mains leak next door.  Our road resembled something from an apocalypse film, and Mrs B next door had moved her car from her drive after the husband's jocular comment about sinkholes.  So there was no shower, and a cursory change of clothing as time had whittled away with conversation (threats) with the water board chaps.  I was also desperate for a comfort break, but knew I'd have to wait till we got to the restaurant.

Problem Number Two
The journey started well, but then all hell broke loose around Heston and we sat there for a whole hour while the numpty who hadn't looked where he was going got his car dragged off the M4.  The husband and I took this opportunity to generally scowl at each other, before resorting to inventing more and more stupid games to pass the time.  Such as 'How Many Planes Can You See Coming in to Land at Once?'  Three was the answer, however hard we squinted and relied on the husband's glasses.  Also much buttock clenching and hovering over the seat...see Problem Number One

Problem Number Three
Table booking came and went.  Son number one and daughter number two (she'd got the train in...sensible girl) made the most of being parent free and headed to the pub for a swift half or six.

We finally met them at 8.00, and then...

Problem Number Four
Following son number one at a brisk pace, I said to him how much I was looking forward to my burger.  This was the cue for raucous laughter from the two younger personages in our party,  'It's a Japanese restaurant', he said.  'You'll love it'.

Yes, like I loved sushi, and the ensuing forty eight hours when I was on the big white phone to whoever would listen.

Having said that, my fears were put to rest when I saw that there was not a smidgen of sushi on the menu.  Son number one ordered for us all, and made a great job of getting a real mixture of foods to try.  The 'buns' in the menu turned out to be steamed and rather lovely.

I may just be converted...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Ain't no mountain high enough...

Diary...