Blowin' in the wind...

The husband greeted me yesterday with the words every girl wants to hear.

'I've bought you a present', he said.  This was announced with a big smile which aroused my suspicion immediately.  Mentally discarding my birthday, Christmas and our wedding anniversary as date inappropriate, my interest was piqued.  It's very rare for the husband to get me anything outside of the recognised present giving days, and gifts which tip up unannounced tend to be given for a reason, and not always a good one.  Gifts like this have included:

A set of induction saucepans - great, but I already had two sets so these were surplus to requirement. (It turned out that they were also surplus to requirement on the site he was working on at the time, hence the re-gifting)

A new hammer - bought after he 'borrowed' mine and 'forgot' to return it.  In the year since the hammer was bought, this has also done the long one-way walk to his tool box.

A CD of Hits of the 1970's - this was bought from the garage while he was waiting in a long queue.  I don't have a CD player in my car, so have yet to listen to it.

A Fry's Chocolate Cream - acceptable on every occasion.

'What is it then?' I asked with just a hint of trepidation.

Well ladies, it turned out to be an awning for our caravan, and not just any old awning.  This was an inflatable one which would take just twelve minutes to erect.

'That's all very nice', I said, 'but how does that qualify as a present for me?'

And this ladies, is what he said...

'Just think how much easier it will be for you now.  You won't have to mess around with all those poles and ropes.  It'll only take twelve minutes - it says that on the box'.

In fairness to him, he suggested that as he did all the caravan driving, that perhaps I'd like to get more involved by attaching the awning while he had a beer reward.

Deep breath...

So should you ever come across us while we staying at various campsites around the UK, that won't be a flag you can see fluttering on top of my caravan.  

It will be the husband, lynched up there for posterity as a warning to all other husbands who think that they are just that little bit clever.

Anybody else got one?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Ain't no mountain high enough...

Diary...