Throw it away...

It was bin collection day yesterday round my neck of the woods, and the husband, who had forgotten to put the recycling bins out the night before, had a bit of a shock at around 6.30 yesterday morning.  Because he's normally left the house at that time, he doesn't know about the garden waste lorry, which always comes really early.

'Quick!  Let me back in the house in a minute!  It's the bin men!'

Well I knew that it wasn't anything to worry about (we don't generate garden waste as I rarely take anything to it other than the lawnmower) but I decided that it was far more fun to watch the husband in his dressing gown (that's getting some serious press this week) and work boots, wheeling the bins out at a rate of knots.  Needless to say, as he watched the lorry sail past our bins as we had no garden waste bin for them to empty, there was a bit of gratuitous swearing and a lot of muttering.  Letting him back into the house, I slowly told him that the recycling bin would be here in the afternoon, as it always was.  His face was a picture.  More a Picasso than a Gainsborough to be fair after the penny finally dropped.

Anyway, coming back home yesterday afternoon after the bin men had finally taken the recycling, something caught my eye.  Laid reverently across the closed lid of a recycling bin was the largest pair of white drawers I have ever seen.  I'll be honest with you, going at the speed I was, it was hard to tell if the previous owner was male or female, but they sparkled on the top of that bin like a airport landing light.  Part of me wanted to stop and knock on the owner's door and ask why they were there, but that would have been a bit weird wouldn't it?  I am assuming that a gleaming pair of apple catchers don't really fall into the recycling bracket. Our council states that clothes can be recycled if they are too grotty for the charity shop, so perhaps the binman took one look at the drawers and decided that they were too good to throw away.

Either that, or my neighbour has gone very posh, stretching a pair of drawers over the lid to make it look a bit prettier.  A bit like those toilet seat covers from the '70's with matching toilet roll cover.

She'll be swapping the gravel drive for shag pile next...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Ain't no mountain high enough...

Diary...