Kinky boots...

The husband's birthday limped on for another twenty four hours after the celebration shared with Mothering Sunday.  Yesterday morning as the insistent alarm reminded us that yet another workaday week had begun, he rolled over and muttered, 'But it's my birthday.  Do I have to go to work?'  This was a rhetorical question because he knew that even if he didn't have to go to work, he'd have to go somewhere rather than get under my feet for the afternoon. 

Going off-piste slightly here, I am quietly dreading the day when he hangs up his monkey wrench for good.  I think he might turn into one of those husbands who, after thirty years of avoiding anything kitchen-related, manages on his first day of retirement to rearrange your spice shelf as 'it's better that way'.  Now correct me if I'm wrong, but after all that time, if I thought that there was a better way of doing anything, does he not think that I might have done it before the first day of his retirement.  Of course, wives never retire, even when they leave their chosen place of work.  

And why is this?  When a woman retires, she is handed an ornamental clock rather than a two foot fairy who is capable of doing all of the housework, washing, ironing, cooking, shopping blah blah blah....  We just carry on working till the day we drop, probably clutching a duster and bin bag as we fall.  Anyway, I digress...

The children and I had pooled our meagre resources and bought the husband a new pair of motorbike boots for his birthday. He has been talking about these since Christmas, so we knew that he would be thrilled skinny when he opened the beautifully wrapped parcel (I forgot to get manly paper on Saturday, so his boots were wrapped in left over Mother's Day wrapping).  What I hadn't allowed for was the purring I would be subjected to as he sat in the lounge on Sunday evening wearing them.  He was wearing his dressing gown so I hoped above anything else that there would be no evening visitors who would bear witness to a fifty five year old man in his night attire, resembling RoboCop from the knees down and Albert Steptoe from the knees up, salivating and stroking a pair of biker boots.

I think given half the chance he would have worn them to work yesterday, but sanity prevailed and they remained in the middle of the kitchen table for the day.

I did consider hiding them before he got back from work yesterday.

I mean, who doesn't love a game on their birthday...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Ain't no mountain high enough...

Diary...