Fifty on our foreheads...

Well, what a weekend that was.  I may have recovered by the time Easter gets here.  

Let me explain. For the last three months, I have been privy to the biggest secret in the world, and on Friday, all the planning and lies came to fruition.

It was my best friend, Mrs S's 50th birthday you see, and her closest friends and family had arranged a secret birthday party, involving champagne, cocktails, sushi, more cocktails and then a bit of tail feather shaking in a fabulous cocktail bar (more cocktails).  But the biggest surprise of all, was that we had her daughter with us, hidden behind a large bunch of helium balloons.  She has been travelling for the last six months, and Mrs S wasn't expecting her back for another month, so five minutes into the big reveal, Mrs S's make up had headed south, and I was considering dropping her into John Lewis on the way through the shopping centre to get touched up (as it were).

So there was singing, dancing, drinking and birthday cake, swiftly followed by Anadin, Alka Seltzer, black coffee and an afternoon wallowing in self pity.

It was then on to our neighbour's on Saturday night for a glam curry night.  Gorgeous food and more drink, and a short crawl into bed at 12.30/1.30.  

Ah yes, the hour forward.  It seemed that I'd just got into bed on Saturday night, when I was getting up again on Sunday.  We had a job to do you see, which involved meeting up with some neighbours at 10.00 yesterday morning.  Armed with a hi-viz jacket  (turned inside out to avoid championing the opposition), blue sack and a grabbing stick, I was part of a team collecting litter up my road.  

There were the usual Red Bull cans and crisp packets, but what was most astonishing were the forty three empty bottles of Fern Bay Sauvingon Blanc scattered over the mile long road.  Now someone out there obviously has a damn fine time down my road on a regular basis.  I just wish that they would GET A ROOM instead of schmoozing in a lay-by.  We managed to fill around twelve sacks, and once we added nine tyres, a very heavy cannister of cooking oil, a netball hoop and a car bumper, we had filled a trailer.  

It astonishes me that people feel that it's acceptable to simply chuck this kind of stuff out of their windows/boots, with no thought to the wildlife (last time I checked, rabbits weren't that keen on cheese and onion crisps washed down with a fruity white), and as a dog walker, I'm always sad about the detritus which decorates our hedgerows.

It only took a couple of hours to sort our little lane out, and I said to the husband that doing something like this makes you feel like a better human being.

Mind you, after Friday night, just feeling like any human being would be great....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Ain't no mountain high enough...

Diary...