My funny Valentine...

The husband doesn't 'do' St Valentines Day.  His reason behind this is that he claims that he spoils me every day, so how can he possibly spoil me even more.  The trouble is, his definition of spoiling is rather different to mine (I picture every woman nodding furiously right now).  Whereas I would consider flowers, a meal out, new drawers or fancy chocolates as a St Valentine's day appropriate gift, the husband considers the following to be adequate to ensure he has enough Brownie points in store for when his birthday comes round.

A new tyre - this was last year's love token, accompanied with a very romantic poem
A spaghetti strainer
A set of Allen keys (since been taken back by the husband)
A spare set of induction saucepans no longer needed on a job
A photo of a Valentine's card texted from the airport as he'd gone away skiing for a week
Gloves for the garden (sound lovely, but these were bought from the builder's merchant, were yellow and three sizes too big

Practicality should be the husband's middle name rather than Casanova, which is all very well for 364 days of the year, but for just one day, I would love it if he brought me flowers.  Come to think of it, he has bought me flowers before, but these were handed over two weeks before February 14th, thus avoiding the obligatory price hike for a bunch of twelve roses.  

I know I am making him out to be a bit of an old love-humbug, but he has been capable of huge romantic gestures over the years.  My favourite one is the bench which sits in our garden, our wedding day carved across the back.  I think there was an alternative reason behind this though, as he has never forgotten our anniversary to date.

But despite all this,  I still count my blessings that we bumped into each other all those years ago, and I know he feels the same.

He's still the same boy I got off with at the local disco in 1979...

Just with less hair and more stomach...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Ain't no mountain high enough...

Diary...