Hot stuff...

I was under pressure to cook a Sunday roast yesterday.  As you all know, I've given up eating meat for Lent, so a roast would probably not be up there as the most appropriate meal for me.  But when faced with two daughters and the husband doing passable impersonations of Puss from Shrek, what's a girl to do?  I had a chicken and some pork in the freezer, so that sorted the three of them out, but I wasn't really too sure what to do for myself.  

Finally deciding that a smorgasbord of vegetables, some cracking roasties and some seriously cheesy cauliflower would do me, I still felt that there was something missing.  I needed something to make the meal feel like a roast even without the meat.  Adding Yorkshire puds helped, and then I started thinking about having a good old slab of Paxo on the side.  That would swing it.

The only trouble was, that there was no Paxo in my cupboard, so a trip to the local supermarket was on the cards. The husband and I ended up there, after I'd dragged him around the garden centre for to hours (his joy knew no bounds).  Changing the subject slightly, I realised a childhood dream yesterday.  Do you remember when the husband removed the hedge from the front of our house, leaving a flat patch of grass?  Well I've always wanted a scatter of crocus plants across my lawn, and yesterday was the day I achieved this. This is why we were at the garden centre yesterday,  and we left there with thirty pots of various bulbs to replant into the grass.  I'm not expecting big things this winter, but maybe next year I'll be greeted by these delicate blooms braving the elements.

I had to borrow the husband's dobber which looks like it should never be seen in polite company, to make the holes in the lawn (under his watchful eye I have to say) and an hour later, they were all tucked into my lawn.

But back to the supermarket...

Standing in front of the shelf which normally houses the gravy and the Paxo, I was greeted with an empty shelf.  This was a disaster.  Grabbing the nearest sales assistant by her lapels, I asked her if she had any Paxo as there was nothing on the shelf.  Turned out she had to go and ask Brian, so I waited by the freezers (looking for Yorkshire puds).

Two minutes later, a man (I assumed correctly that this was Brian) walked towards me and said in rather a too loud voice,

'Are you the lady who wants stuffing?'

Well, what's a girl to say...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Ain't no mountain high enough...

Diary...