Girls on film...

My best friend, Mrs S, is my cinema buddy of choice.  Over the years, I have made her sit through various films, some of which have left her feeling slightly bemused, bored, infuriated, or possibly even made her question our friendship (The Grand Budapest Hotel was almost a step too far).  So when she asked me whether I'd go and Darkest Hour (Winston Churchill etc) I naturally agreed and we started discussing various evenings which would suit.

Fast forward twenty four hours...

'Can we go and see Darkest Hour?' asked the husband.  Looking up from my dinner, I explained to him that I had already committed to going with Mrs S, and that having him tag along would not be conducive to a GNO (Girls Night Out) and that he would have to go with someone else. Well dear reader, there is no one else, so Mrs S and I reluctantly agreed that he could come along to the cinema with us on Sunday afternoon.  Already, we'd changed things to suit him by going on a Sunday afternoon, so the GNO was rapidly turning into a rather middle aged Sunday afternoon trip, which meant no post cinema drink or inappropriate giggling.

We made him sit in the middle.  This was for two reasons.  Firstly it meant that he could be included in our conversations before the film started.  These covered topics such as how pathetically I was doing on my diet and the state of my coat sleeve (dragged it through the caramel sauce on my tub of ice cream) before moving on to the subject of plastic radiator keys.  This is what happens when you take a plumber anywhere.  Someone always has a question for them.  

But the second reason is that the husband is always armed with a large bag of jelly sweets, and what better place to put him than between two females with a penchant for a gummy bear.  He was rather territorial with his jelly snake, but I think that the least said about this, the better.

So I had my ice cream, he had his chewy sweets and Mrs S had a bag of posh popcorn.  We were all settled and and then the adverts started which would be 'appropriate to the audience'.  Looking round the audience (average age 73) I wondered whether these would include stair lifts and support tights, with just a small nod to the beige anorak, but I'm sorry to say that the cinema threw caution to the wind and went with adverts for fast cars and Fosters.  Maybe not so appropriate then.

But the film was brilliant, and I left there feeling extremely humbled by a great man.

I also left extremely miffed because a certain man insisted on nicking my ice cream.

We shan't invite him again...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Ain't no mountain high enough...

Diary...