Blowing in the wind...

Sitting at my dressing table yesterday, I was moaning to the husband because I had to walk the dogs before work.  This isn't usually a problem, but the weather (gale force 8 and horizontal rain) was going to play havoc with my hair.  As I am going with the curls at the moment, I have to wash my hair each morning, and wait for the curls to dry before I head out to Binland. Timing is of the essence, because if my hair isn't dry, the weather can have an interesting effect on it.

The husband, who was loitering in the bedroom, was standing behind me and talking to my mirror face.  'I could blow dry it straight for you if that would help'.   Now I have known the husband since he was seventeen, and in all that time, I haven't known him take lessons in anything hair related. 

'How does that work then?' I asked him.

'Well, I went out with a hairdresser once and used to watch her do hair.  I mean, how hard can it be?'  Fixing him with one of my 'go to work you silly man' looks, I pondered what skills I might have picked up from various boyfriends over the years, based on the husband's theory...

Plastering, mushroom picking, embezzlement (don't ask), car servicing, decorating and plumbing are among the most useful skills I might have picked up from just paying a bit of attention, but I have to confess that I was more interested in what car they drove and which way they flicked their hair more than anything else.  

Needless to say, I left my hair curly, and ventured out with the dogs for their pre-work walk.  The wind blew my hair forward all the way there, and when I finally turned round to go home, I was relieved, as I could now see where I was going.  I had ten minutes to rake it into some order when I got back in, and I hurriedly scraped it up into a (very) messy bun.

Walking into the Transport Office to say good morning to Mrs S and my other Binland chums, she looked at my hair.  Waving her hand over her own head, she asked me what my hair was doing.  Apparently I had a mainly straight bit sticking out at a 90 degree angle like a television aerial.  

None of my boyfriends from years gone by were employed as television aerial installers, which is a shame, because any knowledge gleaned might have been useful yesterday...




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Ain't no mountain high enough...

Diary...