The lemon song...

Brains, he of the science-based qualification who works in the Technical Department at Binland, threw down the culinary gauntlet yesterday.

Sticking his head round the door, just after I'd finished having a rather taxing external audit, he said, 'Are you making a cake tomorrow?  I've never managed to try your cake, and word on the street is that they're pretty good.  And it is Christmas...'  Well after some argy bargy as to whether chocolate chip cookies would be an acceptable alternative (they weren't), I said to Brains that I would make a cake.  'What's your favourite then?'

Mr W, who had up till that moment been mulling over whether enough had been done in the audit, suddenly piped up with, 'Let me give you a clue.  He's known as Drizzee Rascal down in Technical because he makes a mean Lemon Drizzle'.

And then the question was raised as to whose drizzle would be better...

So later today, there is to be a Drizzle Bake Off, with a chap from the workshop judging which one is better.  There's a lot to lose here.  After all, I used to make cakes for a living (around 50 drizzles a week) so you'd expect mine to be pretty good.  My reputation is at stake, and if I lose this contest, I will never pick up a spatula again.

This is not something my colleagues would ever want to happen, as I ply them with baked goods on a regular basis, so if they have any sense, they will prime the chap from the workshop as to which one to choose.  I'll let you know the verdict tomorrow - if I'm still able to show my face should I lose...

But this wasn't the most exciting thing which happened yesterday though.  Our tree, the 16' one with a squatting mouse in it came third in the first round of judging for the best Christmas tree in the UK on the Chris Evans radio show yesterday morning.  Having got over the initial shock, I called the husband to tell him the good news.

'My tree came third', he said.  'Third, I just can't believe it'.

His tree?  His tree?

He picked it and potted it, and there ended any responsibility for said tree, but I decided to let him take the glory.  

After yesterday's poem, I did feel just the teensiest bit guilty...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Ain't no mountain high enough...

Diary...