Never get old...

Apparently, the service wasn't very good in the pub on Tuesday night (the 'surprise' birthday dinner).  It didn't become completely apparent until I was two glasses of Prosecco down, at which point, I wouldn't have noticed whether there was a three hour delay between my potted shrimps and seafood linguine.  There wasn't I hasten to say, but let's just say that a little whiff of fizz can temper down one's expectations a little.

For some reason, every one else at the table was also cold.  So as well as saving money on waiting staff, they also seemed to be scrimping on the heating bill.  But guess who was the only one who was toasty warm?  That's right.  The middle aged, menopausal old bag who was necking Prosecco like it was about to be made illegal.  It would appear that being 54 has its benefits.

One of these came to light at Binland yesterday.  Mr W (my 'young enough to be my son' boss) was telling Master J and me about the time he ran the London Marathon.  While there was a bit a masculine back slapping going on, I piped up with, 'This is the great thing about being 54.  Nothing is expected of me any more'.  I followed this with some quip about only being able to run a bath, and then realised that at 54, anything I do which is more adventurous than sleeping or drinking tea is just a bonus.  

The trouble is, I'm not very good at being 54.  I think I stopped aging mentally when I was about 38, so when I go clubbing in Ibiza or brave Welsh zip wires, I think nothing of it.  What's even funnier, is that I just don't get it when people are shocked at what I get up to.  To me, it's perfectly normal.

I suppose that there will come a day when the sofa and a cup of tea are more attractive an option than going deaf for 24 hours or wearing clothes from New Look, but for now, I shall keep on mincing around in my uncomfortable, cheap shoes (pink suede - mmmm) and keep saying, 'What did you say?'

Going back to the birthday party on Tuesday night, it was really lovely, notwithstanding the bad service and the glacial temperature.  There was cake, presents, flowers and family.

Perfect...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Ain't no mountain high enough...

Diary...