Cold as you...

I had a day off work yesterday.  After the trials and tribulations of the last few days (face paint, eye patch, impersonation of coke addict)  I was looking forward to some time out.

But naturally, this wasn't any old day off.  There would be no slumming it in my pyjamas till lunchtime while watching Philip and Holly.  Nor would I be listening to the radio all afternoon while topping up my tea and cake levels.  No, this day off was for the sole purpose of son number one's graduation..  

I should at this point tell you that I have done the whole graduation thing twice already for daughters one and two, so I was fully aware of what to expect.  What I hadn't allowed for was the husband going down with a life threatening cold.  As we had to leave home by 7.00 yesterday morning (the husband likes to be early....very early) it meant that the woofers had to be walked before we went.  Stomping across the wet field in the dark at 6.00am yesterday morning, I cursed the comedian who felt it a bright idea to inflict the husband with a cold...especially on the day when I would have to spend four hours in close proximity in the car with him. 

Holding my breath between Didcot and Bournemouth was not an option, nor was opening a window, so I ferociously sucked Extra Strong mints all the way there and back, in the hope that the fiery fumes would combat any stray cold germs.  Did it work?  I should know by the weekend, I suppose.  I did say to him on the way down that I would kill him if he passed it on to me.  This is assuming of course that the minor sniffle doesn't finish him off first.

The graduation was as expected.  Three hours of applauding total strangers (all bar three), followed by a reward of as much Prosecco and cake you could cram in while son number two trotted round with friends being photographed against various back drops.  I calculated that I clapped at least 4000 times.  About a quarter of the way through,I started getting a teensy bit bored, so decided that I would clap each student eight times.  However, if they had gone the extra mile and got a Distinction. then I upped that to ten.  The things you do to pass the time, eh?

It was then off to Rick Stein's to celebrate over a plate of cod and chips.  All in all, a most successful graduation with very proud parents, and a son who couldn't wait to get away so that he could continue the partying which had been interrupted by something called a 'job' three months ago.

Driving back, the husband wasn't sure he'd make it home alive, and on my suggestion, we stopped at the chemist to stock up on more medicines.  Once home, I had to schlep the dogs around the field again for another walk (by now, the rain was torrential, oh happy day).  By the time I got back, the husband was stretched out on the sofa in his dressing gown, surrounded by packets of cold remedies, and moaning softly.

It would seem that he is so ill, he is having another day off today.  To be honest with you, I'll be glad to go back to work.  

I could do with a rest, and the role of nurse is not one my favourites...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Ain't no mountain high enough...

Diary...