All birds look like chickens to me...

So my nose has continued to improve both in size and wattage.  The husband has suggested that it might not be a good idea to go into the garden until I'm better.  This is because we have a military base close by, and I think he's frightened of waking up to a Chinook on the patio one morning.

I'm actually feeling the tiniest bit Christmassy at the moment (this has nothing to do with the Rudolf accessory I am currently sporting).  This is because yesterday, I went and collected my turkey.  Little bit early, I hear you say, and you would be right if it wasn't going straight into the freezer.  Since I have been shopping at Aldi, my eyes have been opened to a myriad of ways where I can save a few pennies here and there, and this turkey is just the start of it.

The turkey is Mrs S's fault (this is the Binland Mrs S rather than the bijoux residence one).  'Get on to facebook!' she'd shouted at me on Tuesday morning while I was peering at my screen through my one good eye.  'I can't go on facebook at work', I said.  'It's important', she insisted. And boy, am I glad I did.

A local butcher had put a post onto his page, advertising ready stuffed and rolled turkey breasts at special (cheap) prices.  Well I was in there like a long dog, and am now the proud owner of a beautiful looking piece of turkey for the princely sum of £20.  It says that it will feed fourteen.  The person that made this claim has obviously never met sons one and two, but if all it feeds is eight, then I'll be happy.

Having collected the bird (only a Christmas turkey is ever given this moniker), I then drove to Aldi, repeating, 'Milk, eggs, cheap bread', like some kind of meditation mantra.  It's Christmas pudding weekend for me, so I needed the eggs and bread.  But Christmas comes early in Aldi Land it would appear, and I returned to the car with several bottles of fizz. 

I do make myself laugh sometimes though.  Putting the Prosecco into the trolley, I said to myself that I would buy a few bottles of wine every week so that there wouldn't be a massive amount of booze to buy at Christmas.  I've obviously forgotten that daughters one and two are here on occasion, along with Miss R and various female friends and neighbours.  Between them all, I would imagine that by Christmas Eve, there'll be one half bottle sitting in the fridge, with a teaspoon sticking out of the top 'to keep the bubbles' in.    Actually, does that even work?  The bottles are never in my fridge long enough to carry out that particular experiment.

Next on my Christmas Advance Purchases list was after dinner mints.  Two boxes of them went into the trolley and then, I saw the Advent calendars.  As you all know, I have four children.  Why did I buy eight calendars then?  History tells me that all the chocolate would have been artfully removed by son number two by the time the 1st December gets here, so I need back-ups.  He's back home in a couple of weeks, so a suitable hiding place needs to be found.

I'n not quite at 'decking the halls' stage yet, but mildly festive might sum it up...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Ain't no mountain high enough...

Diary...