Let the children play...

I'm feeling a bit left out.

The boys who I work with in the sales office at Binland are all away on a jolly.  Sorry, I mean they're away for a couple of days which will be spent listening to informative and educational lectures.  This might just be feasible if they weren't doing it in a holiday camp by the seaside.  I hadn't really thought too much about it until one of my male colleagues asked me why I hadn't gone with them.  After all,  so-and-so and so-and-so had gone, and they aren't as much involved in sales as I am.  

Well, this set me thinking.  Firstly, the whole Sales Conference Jolly has really passed me by - I only heard about it last Friday, and Master P and Master H played it down as being a bit of a chore which they could do without.  As this week has trolleyed on, they have asked each other things like, 'Are you taking your swimming shorts with you?' (Master J was loathe to reveal his semi naked torso to his work colleagues.  Knowing some of the others, I don't think he has much to worry about on that score) and 'Wonder if the drink will be free'. (Always a major concern when you are aged somewhere between 26 and 32).    There was also a question about where they were going to watch the football on the first night, but I let that one go.  

On Wednesday, I finally found out, after some delicate probing, that there are about 60 of them going from Binland.  All the sales staff from around the country for a weekend away by the sea.  

So why hadn't I been invited?  Well, my first conclusion was that it was boys only trip.  The very nature of Binland means that us girls are a bit thin on the ground, but then Master J let slip that a new female sales person was going meaning that there were at least three girls going, so it wasn't that.

The next possibility is that I am too old.  Oh the shame.  But hang on a cotton-picking minute, there were men going, who if not older, at least look older than me, so perhaps age is not an issue.  Of course, in such a male orientated business, it can be difficult to cater for females when away.  But if they are young, at least they can join in with the drinking and the late nights.  If I'd gone, there would have been requirements as befitting a woman of middle years, such as:

Kettle in the room for tea, complimentary Hob Nobs also required
Ground floor room to allow for rickety knees.  This can be waived if there is a lift.
Air conditioning  for menopausal hot flushes
Bedroom away from obligatory disco to avoid being woken up (this is rubbish - I think that you all know me well enough now to know that I'd be last man standing in there)
Reserved seat at the front for lectures, as glasses only just strong enough to decipher my PC
Reserved seat at the front needs to be in close proximity to loo.  Just in case.

So perhaps taking me along was just a little bit too much like hard work.  

And after all, someone grown up has to hold the fort at Binland while the children are out playing.

Aaaah.....the proverbial penny has just dropped...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Ain't no mountain high enough...

Diary...