Boys to men...

Son number two seems to be settling into his new life Oop North quite well and I'm hoping that this time he might stay longer than until he runs out of socks.  Like his siblings who have gone before him, he is leading the life of an owl.  Sleeping all day and carousing all night, with the time between spent eating strange combinations of whatever food can be foraged around the flat he shares with two unfortunate females.  I wonder if they have realised his penchant for the Dairy Milk yet and have resorted to concealing it in more inventive places.  If the others are anything to go by. leaving it the box of Bold washing tablets would be safe, or the dirty washing box at a push.

Anyway, he's been gone nearly a week, and I'm getting used to the fact that apart from the odd chewed bit of kindling or stair carpet, the house looks the same when I come home after work each day.  Good old Reg, he's not a bad stand in for son number two and they have quite a lot in common.

Firstly, they'll eat anything which stops moving long enough.  Of course, son number two has never eaten spiders (he's terrified of them) or horse dung, but still....  And then there's the mess.  Son number two and Reg are a bit like Pigpen from Peanuts, they arrive in a room with an accompanying cloud of detritus, leaving various bits of it behind as they leave.  In son number two's case this is usually an empty plate and some chocolate wrappers, whereas Reg leaves bits of dog chew and wet moss which has fallen off the roof.  This is a particular hate for me as without my glasses on, I can't tell if the broken up bits have legs or not when I go to pick them up.  

Anyway, back to the similarities.  One thing they are completely in sync with is their love of the opposite sex.  As you all know, Reg is one for the ladies, and has been known to chase Bella, Chloe and Foxy around the field outside my house until one of two things happen.  Either he catches them, by which time he's too tired to do anything at all (the curse of the short legs - this has a double effect as the girls are all rather leggy) or they snap at him to warn him off. Son number two also likes to chase various leggy females with similar results...

One thing they do have in common though, is their love for me.  Admittedly, son number two never sits on my lap, nose to nose, staring at me with complete adulation whilst salivating, but he does make it very clear to me how much he loves me in other ways.  I have many little notes which I have saved over the years, where he tries to put into words how he feels about me.  One of the earlier ones (he was about six) waxed lyrical about how much he loved me because of the 'nice diners I made him'.  

His spelling has improved greatly since then, but the lack of embarrassment at saying how he feels about those he loves has never left him.

I do miss having him around, but have decided that the tidy house is a small compensation.

As is the sweet smelling bedroom, empty dirty washing box, full fridge, redundant washing machine and purse full of pound coins (these always went missing courtesy of the Snooker Club down the road).

It's his birthday today, and this heralds the end of the teenagers in our house.

Fourteen years of teenagers....the best contraceptive of all...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Ain't no mountain high enough...

Diary...