Mine...

I've had a lovely week.  When my flipping gorgeous sister-in-law Mrs W and her handsome beau, Mr W come to stay for a few days, it's always a really special time.  We sit and chat, eat lovely meals out, and just generally 'hang out'. Because they are from The North, these times together are rare, but boy, are they special.

Friday was our last full day together, and as Mr W had plans, Mrs W suggested that Friday afternoon should be spent pottering around the shops of a nearby uber posh town. Having trawled through the sales, and nabbed a couple of bargains, we then hit the charity shops.  Now Mrs W is an expert in the hunting down of a bargain, but me?  Well, I know she'll be reading this, so here goes my confession....

Mrs W, this was a first for me...

Charity shops have always frightened me a little.  I'm not very good when everything is crammed onto the same rail. Trousers, shirts, dresses and coats all vying for attention, with a 'Pick me!  Pick me!' attitude, while mismatched shoes trip you up next to crumpled handbags .  Actually, T K Maxx has the same effect on me if I'm honest...

But I have to confess, they have really upped their game, and the first one we went into was quite a pleasant surprise.  For a start, it didn't smell of grandmas (in a bad way, not the acceptable smell of lavender and sweet sherry) and I was very impressed with the fragrant candle burning on the counter.  We didn't buy anything in this shop, nor were we parted from our money in the second, but by the third, I was really getting into the swing of things and almost pushed Mrs W to one side in my eagerness to get to the rails.  

It was then I spotted it...

Hanging on the far end of a rail was a beautiful silk Boden dress.  The kind of dress you could wear with leggings and boots.  Empire line, fabulous muted colours, it had my name written all over it.  I grabbed it, and shuffled over to Mrs W.

'What do you think?'  I asked her.

'Where did you find that?'  asked Mrs W, implying that I had insider information as to where all the best stuff was.

'On the rail', I stated completely pointlessly.  'Do you like it then?'

Well it turned out that she liked it as much as I did, and looking at her disappointment, I offered a consolation prize.

'If it doesn't fit me when we get home, you can have it.  OK?'

That cheered her up, so we finished the day with a cream tea in the rain and headed back home where we pulled out item after item out of various bags, showing them to the husband while he slowly shook his head in despair. Unfortunately for Mrs W, the Boden dress fitted me perfectly, so it didn't have to do the long trek back to Cheshire.

When they left yesterday morning, I did consider checking her bags, just in case the dress had somehow found its way into her suitcase, but I'm sure she would never have found it in the carrier bag which I'd put into an old cereal box, which went inside a beach bag, which I then put into my holiday suitcase and locked.

I know she's family, but you can't be too careful...




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Ain't no mountain high enough...

Diary...