Farewell...

Funerals are a funny old business.  One minute you're blubbing like a fool in the church, wondering how you'll ever manage to cope without seeing a loved one again.  Several hours later, you're being bundled into the back of a car with little ceremony, while the husband, positioned somewhere between your right shoulder and left knee, tries to belt you in whilst muttering, 'You're going to regret this in the morning'...

You see, the funeral was wonderful.  Almost three hundred people filled the church, and we prayed and sang, we laughed and applauded and naturally, we were all a little sad.  But what a send off for a truly noble man, who has gone through life doing the best he can for those he loves.

It had been a slightly different funeral, in that we'd had a very private burial the day before. Thursday's ceremony was all about celebrating a life well led, and boy did we celebrate.  Faces from the past, just a little shabbier around the edges (as was mine, I'm sure), mingled with new friends, colleagues and family. I had said to the husband that I would probably want to have a drink, as I knew the day would be difficult.  What I hadn't anticipated was a story and laughter filled afternoon, followed by a rather long session in the pub next to the church, where we managed to look like the least mournful mourners ever known to man.  

The husband finally managed to scoop me up around 7.00.  I would have been in bed by 7.30, but unfortunately, every time I closed my eyes, I got room spin, so I had to sit and watch television for an hour, until I could turn my head without my eyes having a two second time delay.  Waking up yesterday morning, I had NO HANGOVER!!!  I figured this was a gift from my newly departed uncle, and said a quiet thank you over my cornflakes.

So yesterday morning I finished all of my Binland work, and headed home to pack.  I have the smallest suitcase ever, but somehow manage to fit enough clothes in there to clothe a small army (on their day off naturally, I don't thing serge would be any good for the heat). 

As I say to Miss R when we go away on our jollies..

There's always got to be one outfit which will fit at any time of the week, whether that be for a pre-holiday slim body, or the Sangria-soaked, chip-bloated, ice-cream frenzied holiday body (this is me from Day Three onwards).

Not to worry though - I'll dance it all off on Thursday...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Ain't no mountain high enough...

Diary...