Friday, 14 April 2017

Jitterbug stroll...

So another working week came to a premature end yesterday.  I think all of us at Binland managed to cram about a fortnight's worth of work into the last four days, so it's fantastic to have four long days of sod all stretching in front of me today.

On Wednesday night, our Swing Club had its last social event before breaking up for Easter.  This involved all of the different levels of dancers getting together for a bit of a shin dig with cake thrown in.  Talking of cake, I'm not too sure why it is always present at Lindy Hop events.  I don't really think that it's a true reflection of what people ate in the 1940's. do you?  Mind you, I'd rather have a slab of fruit cake than a dried egg sandwich or a spam fritter, so best to keep quiet about this I feel.

Anyway, back to the dancing.  The lessons are split into two, with the beginners being upstairs.  The teacher from downstairs, where the fancy movers go, was trying to teach us all the Jitterbug Stroll, a dance which can be done without a partner and in a big circle. When he demonstrated it with the three other teachers, it looked very cool. However, when the husband and I launched ourselves into it, we looked like we had St Vitus' Dance, or at best, fleas. I'd like to think that after an hour of this, I had mastered almost some of it, but it was hard to tell as the sweat was running down over my eyes, my shirt was un-tucked and a good proportion of my hair had come loose. 

I think that adding the word 'stroll' to the name of this dance is probably a bit deceiving, as it was more like running a 100m dash in treacle. At one point, I did admonish the teacher for bringing his 'fancy downstairs moves upstairs', but he wasn't having any of it. The husband managed to work his way through the dance by consistently standing behind the teacher so he couldn't see what the husband was up to.  I'll be honest with you, I was standing next to the husband, and I wasn't sure what he was up to either.  He just does his own thing, with a massive smile on his face, and this makes me very, very happy.

If you want to take a look at what we were attempting under the influence of a cup of tea and a slice of cake, here it is:

Waking up the morning after, the bedroom was rife with moans and groans (pain, not pleasure before you go down that particular road) and I spent a busy day in Binland trying to learn how to walk again.  To top it all, I then went for a long hike in the woods with Miss R, followed by thirty lengths of the pool with Mrs S.

I'll be honest with you, after all of that, I was quite surprised that I woke up at 5.00 this morning.  I had anticipated sleeping through the whole of Easter, with the husband nudging me on Tuesday, telling me that it was time to get up for work, and that all the chocolate had been eaten.

Now that would have been a nightmare...

Post a Comment