Mouldy old dough...

It was a very long day yesterday for yours truly and the husband.  I had managed to get a couple of tickets for the England-Italy Six Nations Rugby game.  Now I'm not saying these were expensive, but the husband is fully aware that this is his present for Valentine's Day, his birthday, our wedding anniversary and Christmas.  For this year, and next year too actually. 

We left early yesterday morning, as we had booked to go up to Twickenham on the train. Everything went really smoothly, with us managing to snatch a couple of seats from the eager bottoms of a couple of teenagers.  This will teach them to look where they are going rather than at their bloody phone screens.  Snooze you lose, my friends...

The atmosphere was brilliant and first stop was a pub naturally, where the husband, ever the forward thinker on these occasions, had double ordered his pints of Guinness. Standing in the doorway with our plastic beakers of booze, we watched the world go by.  Mostly men in tweed or wearing off-duty camping coats, with the occasional female thrown in (probably invited so that she could drive the aforementioned men home - bit like me I suppose). 

Drinks downed, it was then time for food.  I passed on the hotdogs, hog roasts, pizzas and burgers, finally settling on a pasty stall which had been set up in some poor soul's front garden.  They had a choice of ordinary Cornish Pasties, or.....'The Big One'. Well, the husband and I took one look at the eight square inches of flaky pastry encompassing meat and potatoes and the deal was done.  I am going to have to do double the work at Pilates this week to even make a dent in the effect that pasty would have had on my waistline, but boy, it was worth it.

The match was brilliant, although we did think that we might have had to come home with our tails between our legs, but the English team finally started playing the game properly in the second half, and went home with the win.  I expect the players all got into their flashy cars and were home within half an hour, just in time for Antiques Roadshow.

Unfortunately, because we had to get the train, along with 79,998 other people, it took us slightly longer.  Three hours to be precise. Now some of this time was spent queuing for hot doughnuts.  I had spent the whole day feeling cold, and clutching a hot paper bag full of doughnuts was nothing short of perfect. I was tempted not to eat them but simply tuck them down inside my vest, but common sense prevailed and I ate the lot...

But today is Monday again. 

Dust and water is back on the menu today to balance out yesterday.....




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Ain't no mountain high enough...

Diary...