On the road again...

So children suitably threatened, and lists typed and handed out, it was time for the husband and I to head off to Wales for the week with my sister, Miss R, in tow.  It always surprises me how much he can fit into his car when we go on these self catering jaunts.  Mind you, spending four hours on the M54 with your face squashed up against the passenger window as there are various holdalls, dogs, bikes and cooler bags in the way is not much fun.  By the time we reached Welshpool (loo stop, dog walk, drink, meet up with sister) I resembled the Elephant Man, and had developed a nasty tic.

Pulling up in the services for the obligatory middle aged lady stop (I blamed it on the dogs) the husband, ever thoughtful, suggested that I might like to do the remainder of the journey with my sister, rather than riding shotgun with him.  This was a brave suggestion on his part -we both know that he hates my incessant chattering on long journeys, preferring instead to drive in silence, with maybe a little easy listening on in the background. The trouble is that I think I am keeping him entertained, and therefore awake.  He sees it slightly differently, often referring to my chattering as the reason he might resort to roadkill....

So I was evicted.  Taking my place next to my sister in her big, posh car, I only had to share the front seat with two bananas and an apple.  Quite an improvement on the husband's car, and by the time we reached Barmouth, my facial features had a more balanced look to them, and I no longer resembled a haddock.

Now the Welsh drivers are a thing to behold.  Pottering along behind the husband, who on several occasions forgot he wasn't driving on the continent (either that or the dogs had taken over driving duties), we watched car after car hurtle past us with no regard for life, limb, blind bend or bridge.  Miss R used some words not heard since the Italian hire car in Lake Como last year, while I thanked the good Lord that my pelvic floor was still hanging in there as there were some corners when I may well have stuck my head between my legs and kissed my a**e goodbye.

Our home for the next few days is beautiful (Thank you Mrs H) and we have lots planned to make the most of our stunning surroundings.  One of the things arranged, booked and paid for by Miss R is a two mile zip wire ride through a quarry at 80mph...  Now I hate heights, speed and falling on hard stones, so I can't imagine that this will be my favourite part of the week.  The husband and Miss R have both brought their Go-Pro's with them to film the whole thing.  We are due on there at 10.30 this morning.  I would imagine that by 11.45am my shame will be on facebook for all to see...

It's OK though.  I'll get my own back. Let me just say that the pen is mightier than the sword.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Ain't no mountain high enough...

Diary...