Down Mexico way....

Over the last week or so, there has been a pervading whiff coming from the direction of my fridge.  Up till now, I have been too busy to investigate (aka shutting the fridge door really quickly so no one else notices) but yesterday afternoon it all came to a head, with various people (male mainly) refusing to come into the kitchen just in case they got a whiff of eau de fridge.

Armed with kitchen roll, cloths and several bin liners, I started with the doors and worked my way through the shelves and drawers, taking cautious sniffs of each jar and bottle as it made its way out onto the worktop where it was lined up for inspection.

Now I'm sure that you are very similar to me.  I reckon that fridges should be a lot wider, and a lot shallower, ie one jar deep, thus ensuring that nothing gets hidden on the back, or crawls into a dark corner and dies.  This probably explains why I found three jars of horseradish, neatly lined up, one in front of the other, with the newest being up front - only one of these was still in date, the other two having a sell by date circa the London Olympics (at least it was the 2012 ones).  They weren't the culprit, but when I am on a roll, nothing is safe....

Next to go were the three half full squeezy bottles of sour cream.  We like fajitas in this house, and for some reason I always feel the need to buy a new bottle every time I serve them up.  Of course, this is also applicable to guacamole and salsa of which there were two and four bottles respectively.  (Obviously, we all like guacamole, can tolerate sour cream, and simply hate the salsa.  I've made a note of this for future Mexican Fiesta Nights...)

All the slightly sprouting potatoes (baking, baby and sweet) headed into the bag, as did half a cucumber which had miraculously turned into a green smoothie in its sealed bag - still not the culprit though.

Eventually I found it.  One of those large plastic bottles of Heinz Baked Beans....twisting the lid off in quite a haphazard way (these are eaten regularly and often) I took a peek inside...

Good god...if this had been left in the fridge another day, I think it would have punched legs through the plastic and walked to the bin itself.  As it was, it was down to me to carry it at arms length out to the bin, with the lid firmly shut.  Sorry bin-men, down to you now...

So now I have a beautifully clean fridge....Daughter number one tipped up late yesterday afternoon.  First stop was my very fragrant fridge.  Seeing the empty shelves, all she could say was, 'Oh'.

Oh, indeed....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's raining men...

Ain't no mountain high enough...

Diary...